Reading data in the IG

TweetShareSharePin0 SharesThis turned into a miniseries. First it was about focusing on a cell and then on entering the cell in edit mode, but I figure there is a related thing one might want to do. You could want to read the data in a cell once the Interactive Grid (IG) has been loaded. Maybe you need it for some other processing or you want to present something in the IG also in another region. Say that you show the […]


Entering edit in a cell on pageload

TweetShareSharePin0 SharesI recently wrote about how you set focus on a certain cell in an interactive grid. As often is the case, a solution may work well in many cases but there are some cases where something additional is needed. Say that getting one cell in an interactive grid is what you of want, but some cases are so obvious that the user would want to edit a certain cell once the grid is loaded with data. In this case […]


Focusing on a specific cell in an interactive grid

TweetShareSharePin0 SharesWhen an interactive grid is populated with data, most of the time the default setup is great. But for certain applications you know that the user will want to have a certain cell on a certain row in the grid being in focus. Sure you can leave it and just let the user click on it every time. It’s not like a single click is very hard. But helping them be the most productive they can is what most […]


Change the compatability mode in APEX

TweetShareSharePin0 SharesI ran across a funny thing today in an application I built 10 yesrs ago but that I have not been involved in maintaining since then. The application is gettings som much needed UI upgrades, like getting out of the dark ages and using universal theme. During that work there were a set of things that didn’t work, components could nbot be found and some unexpected things happened. Unexpected compared to the behavior that had been experienced while doing […]


ORDS REST services work but APEX does not

TweetShareSharePin0 SharesThis is an odd situation, most people are probably struggling more with getting REST to work than to get installed APEX to come up with the login. I encountered an odd situation recently where REST worked, SQL Developer Web worked but APEX did not. Many attempts to install and uninstall ORDS and we were still at the same situation. The error message we got was along the lines of “connection pool is a template pool”. Eventually I noticed that […]


Getting t1001 in interactive grid PK

TweetShareSharePin0 SharesHave you been plagued with the issue of getting values like t1001 show up in columns you marked as primary key in your interactive grid? In case you do not feel it is a good interface for your end users you may have found yourself spending quality time with Google looking for clues. I have had a couple of people asking me about this in just the last week. Googling turns up very little and mostly about the T1000 processor […]

Docker, Oracle, APEX

Your very own development environment

TweetShareSharePin0 SharesEveryone should have their own local development environment. No matter if you write Java and that just means IDE and JDG, or if you work with databases. Not having it reduces your learning a lot. I have yet to meet a really sharp database expert who does not have a local personal environment. It also goes the other way around, you can usually guess if a person has it or not. Yes, you can get a database by just […]


Customized help text in APEX

TweetShareSharePin0 SharesYes, I’m finally back. The last post was written right before a complete period of being offline, during that time it was scheduled to be published. Followed that was slow recovery. I have been deemed fully recovered for a while but not gotten back enough to find time to blog. That changes now. So what causes almost a half years time to recover. Going out with the trash. Yes, it really is dangerous and should be avoided at all […]


Help text as a modal dialog

TweetShareSharePin0 SharesTo continue on the theme of help text in APEX, let’s take a look at showing it in a modal popup dialog in this post and then finish off the subject in next post with customizing how help can be shown. For completeness I’ll include a short section towards the end about how it works in non modal too. In the last post I show how to show help text inline on a page and on the one before […]


Help text in APEX in-line with page

TweetShareSharePin0 SharesSetting up help text in APEX is not hard but I often see it not done at all or implemented using regions with static content and then toggled on or off. That is unfortunate when there is declarative support for providing help texts. In the last post I show how to set up a specific page to be the landing page for showing help text for any page in the application. In this post I’ll show how to get […]